In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Pownal Scenic and Historical Society

Benjamin Randall Store, Pownal, ca. 1895

Contributed by Pownal Scenic and Historical Society
MMN Item 10110 Item Details
Benjamin Randall Store, Pownal, ca. 1895
MMN Item 10110 Zoom

Description

This country store, located on the Lawrence Road in Pownal, is pictured here circa 1886-1900 when owned by Lyman F. Sawyer.

The store was established by Benjamin Randall in 1826, and was tended by him and his son, Elmer W. Randall, for many years. Items sold included groceries, dry goods, hats, caps, boots, shoes, general hardware, grains, and livestock.

The store served the North Pownal community until 1941, when it was sold to the North Pownal Community Club Association. Although remodeled, the major structure exists today and continues in active use.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.